Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mommy Dearest


My parents used to live an hour from here but 8 months ago moved to NC. I must say that I thought I was a big girl and could handle it but the last month I have missed them more and more. 

Most of you do not know my mom but she is my hero. She has the BIGGEST servant's heart I have ever seen. An example is when we had Owen she came to stay with us for a week. Not only did she clean the house, do laundry, make some meals but she also slept in the same room with Owen so that I could sleep unless he needed fed. She is willing to help anyone when they need it. 

I cannot complain (thanks to Margaret's post and the Spirits conviction) but I do feel that I need her right now. I just feel a little overwhelmed even though I have so much to be thankful for.  I called her this afternoon and through the crying just told her I was struggling with things myself (physically, emotionally and spiritually) and with Owen (specifically discipline). When she prayed for me over the phone she began to choke up to because she left all her children and grandchildren in Ohio. We said our good byes and hung up the phone. Not more than five minutes later the phone rang and my mom said we are getting a flight.

Hopefully, I will be leaving on thursday to fly down to visit for a week. We (Jay & I) decided that I am going to go down instead of her coming up. It is so relaxing at my parents and this will be the last time for just Owen and I to go down without any other family. He will be soaking up lots of one on one time with G & G Slagle. So I will be going to NC twice in the next month (pretty pathetic I know).

I am overwhelmed with thankfulness for the parents God has given me. I am also amazed at the caring and understanding husband I have. Jason is going to be home alone for 2 of the next 5 weeks but insisted that I need to go. He has had so much patience with me and has been such a wonderful help around the house and with Owen. Thank you God for the people You have placed in my life because I do not deserve them. 


9 comments:

Janet Whipple said...

Hey Jodi, Sorry you're struggling right now!! I'll be praying for you too. So glad you get a little vacation in the midst of it...tell your parents hello for me!

Margaret said...

Oh Jodi...hugs to you. There's something about the messing up of our hormones that affects our entire being. It is NOT complaining to admit we have a need. It is NOT complaining to want to be with your mom at this time. How awesome that your mom felt your need and is doing something about it. I'll pray for you, Jodi...go enjoy your time at your parents!

JanAl said...

I do not have parents that I can depend on, but I hope that my children will be able to call upon me, the way you were able to call upon your mom. And I too, will be running to their rescue, if Cleyo lets me! :}
And like Margaret said, hormones can play a major factor. With several of our pregnancies, Cleyo would tell me that he thought I was pregnant, before we even had a clue, because my hormones were all over the place. It will get better! Praising God for time to get away! Praying for a blessed trip!

Becky Slagle said...

Jodi, I will be praying for you! I know first hand how hard it is to not have your mom (and dad) close by. It's been 10 years since my parents moved to LA and I still really miss them. It gets easier in some respects, but you'll always miss them, especially your mom. Your mom is just someone who completely understands you, you know? Nobody else takes care of you like mom can. I love you so much and am so glad that you get to go down there. RELAX and enjoy every moment!

HUGS, HUGS, HUGS!!!!

~~anna~~ said...

Go and enjoy yourself!
Mom's love to care for their children...no matter how old they are!

Will be praying for you!

marissa finch said...

I know the feeling of needing your mommy...different situation, yes, but still...

and i can't wait to meet the next little bradshaw!

Anonymous said...

i agree with everyone here. i hope you can not only relax but return refreshed at the end of your stay. i will be praying.

by the way - i'm afraid that marissa is getting a little too much mom time - more than she wants - but i'm still enjoying it. when your children get to be adults, they don't seem to need you as much, so when the opportunity arises - for whatever occasion or reason - it's a real pleasure to be able to serve them :)

that probably wasn't very well stated, but i hope you know what i mean.

~~anna~~ said...

So, how was your time at your folks? Hope you were able to get lots of 'mommy-time'. That's important no matter what age you are.

How goes the morning sickness?

~~anna~~ said...

Just wondering how you're doing?