Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Anxiousness & Worry

I am a weenie! There are a lot of things that I am not afraid of such as roller coasters, repelling, rock climbing or white water rafting (which I have done all of). But if there is a tornado watch or a really bad thunderstorm I literally start shaking. I hate them!! This is on my mind right now because last night we had some pretty severe storms and of course I got out of bed (twice!!) to check if we had a tornado watch (which we did). I love that I jump in bed when there is thunder (I will say it was very loud) but my 14 month old just sleeps soundly. I think that tells me something about childlike faith that my baby can teach me. God is sovereign and is in control! Period!

We are starting a new study at church this coming week called Calm My Anxious Heart. I have read this book over four times. I read it every summer because these are things I really struggle with (the book also talks a lot about contentment - add it my list). I tend to think about the "What ifs?' in life. What if Jason gets in a car accident? What if something happened to Owen? Oswald Chambers says, "It is not only wrong to worry, it is infidelity, because worrying means that we do not think God can look after the details in our lives, and it is never anything else that worries us." Ouch!

These last couple of years God has really worked on me in these areas (obviously, I still have a long way to go). But one thing that has made a difference for me is having a heart of thanksgiving. When I sit down and write out all of the things I have to be thankful for (sorry for those taking the study - this is in the book) I realize how God has been sovereign over the years and always provided all my needs. At that point worry starts to melt away (at least for a little while) and I am content in my situations God has put me in (again, I wish this lasted longer).

I am going to end with one of my favorite passages:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with THANKSGIVING, present your requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which transcends ALL understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

AMEN!!!

7 comments:

marissa finch said...

how can you not simply LOVE huge thunderstorms?? That is one thing i miss terribly about the dominican republic....great big thunderstorms

Janet Whipple said...

I'm so with ya on this Jodi! Maybe I should pick up that book....not so much the worry aspect, but the anxiousness...trying to take it all into my own hands. Thanks for your thoughts :)
Janet

~~anna~~ said...

Don't suppose it will help to tell you that the noise of thunder is just the angels bowling? That's what my daddy told me when I was little. The lightening was when they got a strike!
But seriously, I really appreciated your post. A much needed encouragement to me...
thanks for being open. I think, if honest, we all struggle with our own areas of worry, fear and trusting in God.
Now, where can I get a copy of that book?

Kati said...

I say "AMEN" to your Amen!!! He's got it all under control, whether we always believe it or not.

Storms don't bother me, though I think I'd be a bit uncomfortable repelling???????? Anyways, we all have our areas of struggle with anxiety. But He's totally big enough to cover them all! Am excited for the study. Just read the first chapter today!

Jodi Bradshaw said...

Anna - I was just thinking about you a few days ago when I read the first few chapters of the book. Linda Dillow is (was) a missionary and she talks about being content in her situation even though she was away from her children and grandchildren. I really think you would like this book. I am praying for you today!

Charity said...

I'm with Marissa - I absolutely love thunderstorms. and since we don't live in xenia, i don't worry too much about tornadoes. however, i just read on a blog I linked to a couple weeks ago about another baby dying, and I'm thinking that was my LAST visit to that blog! i definitely struggle with worry when it comes to my kiddos. i'm also looking forward to the study and love that LD encourages a lot of Scripture memorization/meditation. Good stuff!

~~anna~~ said...

Jodi, believe me, I don't take it lightly when someone says they are praying for me! Thank you so much!